Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Who Inspires Me: Jake 'The Snake' Roberts

This is the first of my blog series about people who inspire me to get where I need to go in my journey. While Jake was not the first person to inspire me, he certainly has been the one who has gotten my attention the most this year with his journey. Due to the timeliness of his journey, I felt it important to focus on him first.

Growing up as a wrestling fan during the heyday of Hulkamania, there were few wrestlers as cool as Jake “The Snake” Roberts. I mean, as a kid, what could be cooler to see than a big python? But it wasn’t just the presence of the snake. Jake Roberts was an innovator with his in-ring psychology. Also, his promo skills were second to none. Just check out this clip from his feud with Ted DiBiase:


Over the years, there has been a well-documented spiral in Jake’s life. I don’t need to rehash any of those things. There is Google and anyone can easily access information about his drug and alcohol issues. I have always rooted for Jake each and every time he has battled with those demons. WWE has been surprisingly supportive in getting him help. Say what you want about them, they have done a good job lately trying to help curb the statistics…but we all know the success of ANY rehab program in general is fairly unpredictable.

In the past, there hadn’t been anything that had really taken root in Jake’s life over the long haul. I can relate to this. I have struggled with what I believe is a food addiction. I can’t get enough of simple carbs…Those types of food can have very similar effects on the body as drugs…big difference being that you can’t be completely abstinent from food…you can quit certain types but you have to eat to live.

Enter Diamond Dallas Page. This man is positively affecting lives all over the world, and Jake is no exception. DDP picked up and moved to Atlanta and set up an “accountability crib” where Jake has a support system and a group of people to be accountable to. Jake’s goal is to stay off drugs and alcohol in order to hopefully compete in the Royal Rumble next January. Do yourself a huge favor and read the Yahoo article entitled "The Resurrection of Jake 'The Snake' Roberts. It will blow your mind to hear the story of his journey.

I started paying attention to what Jake was going through last January. I still put off getting back into DDPYoga until July, but his story and continued success has driven me to focus on bettering my health and life. I have had a gazelle-like intensity with the program since July.  I know that like Jake, I can’t be doing this or any program without accountability. I have the support system in place of a local friend who is on the program with me, and there’s the support of Team DDPYoga.

I’m happy to report that I have successfully completed 6 weeks of the workouts-with 6 days a week (with a day off each week) and never missing a workout. My eating has only gotten right just recently, but I’m moving forward and getting stronger. I probably won’t see Jake compete in the Rumble in person, but I will be rooting for him from home and I'm planning on doing so in skinnier pants. There will be few bigger Jake fans than this guy right here, and perhaps few that have been as positively affected.

No comments:

Post a Comment